Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have a job offer and with it a Non-Compete-Agreement. This

I have a job offer and with it a Non-Compete-Agreement. This agreement contains this paragraph: "The Employee agrees and understands that employment with the Employer is "at­ will." The employment may be terminated by either party upon written notice, with or without advance notice, and for any or no particular reason or cause."

I had already agreed to: "The Employee agrees and understands that employment with the Employer is "at­ will." The employment may be terminated by either party upon written notice". What worries me is the additive ", and for any or no particular reason or cause." When I asked I was told that this is anyhow the law (at-will) and is just for clarification. My question is now: Is there an actual legal difference having those words (no reason or cause) written out in this contract?

Hello and welcome.

.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am working on your answer now and will post it here shortly. Thank you for your patience while I prepare your answer.

Hello again, Elisabeth.

Congratulations on the job offer. I hope it is something you will enjoy.

As for your QUESTION: Is there an actual legal difference having those words (no reason or cause) written out in this contract?

ANSWER: No, the employment at will doctrine typically provides that either an employer or employee may terminate the relationship without good cause or for no reason at all. That is generally how it is defined and the additional language included in this contract does appear to be for clarification purposes only. There is really no difference from a legal perspective with or without this additional language since indicating that the employment is "at will" generally indicates that the relationship may be terminated without good cause or for no reason at all.

Here is a link which provides more information on the employment at will doctrine:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/employment-at-will-definition-30022.html

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!