Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.
11313492

Hi. My husband is the manager of an angry and dillusional employee.

Hi. My husband is the manager of an angry and dillusional employee. His company has been dealing with this guy for years. The guy comes into work very hostile and his attitude scares the other workers. He writes up long elaborate emails and sends to all of upper management. Their HR and Risk Management have investigated any grievances they guy has brought up and declared them to be invalid. The guy gets angry at minor things. I could go on and on. Other workers have come forward and said they guy has bragged about have street connections and could take care of anyone who does him wrong. But no one wants to be involved or file formal complaints because they are scared of him. Today, HR admitted that they are scared to fire this guy for fear of retaliation! My husband needs to get out of there because he is in an unsafe situation which the company is scared to handle. Not to mention, my husband has dealt with heavy stress and has battled very high blood pressure over the past years. Enough is enough. What can be done?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question. I am sorry to read of this dilemma.

INFOLAWYER :

The company should let this person go

INFOLAWYER :

who is creating a hostile work environment

INFOLAWYER :

It can be pressed to do by a written notice that its refusal to act is exacerbating the situation

Customer:

They should. But they have told my husband they fear they go will personally come after the HR director

INFOLAWYER :

Your husband of course doesnt have to tolerate this

INFOLAWYER :

He may lodge a complaint with the eeoc

INFOLAWYER :

see www.eeoc.gov

INFOLAWYER :

He may also have local counsel reach out to negotiate terms including termination of the employee or a parting severance

INFOLAWYER :

Typically if legal and management are put on notice

INFOLAWYER :

especially by counsel

INFOLAWYER :

action is taken

INFOLAWYER :

which may avoid having to leave in protest

INFOLAWYER :

and thereby avoid prolonged proceedings

Customer:

Should he hire a lawyer? He now feels the company is not protecting him and have been making him deal with this by himself.

INFOLAWYER :

He can make the effort first

INFOLAWYER :

if he has done so

INFOLAWYER :

or doesnt think company will listen

INFOLAWYER :

Having a lawyer reach out is not expensive and may accomplish the outcome he seeks

INFOLAWYER :

as it raises leverage

Customer:

What is this issue called? Workplace Intimidation?

INFOLAWYER :

hosile work environment

INFOLAWYER :

harassment

INFOLAWYER :

unsafe working environment

INFOLAWYER :

I trust the answer is fast and clear.

Customer:

Yes, thank you

INFOLAWYER :

Please click on a positive rating for the answer.
Leaving a bonus is always appreciated.

INFOLAWYER :

Good luck!!

Customer:

THanks

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

Customer:

Is there a way I can get a copy of this transcript? I want to show my husband.

INFOLAWYER :

You can log on here later and see it, it remains

INFOLAWYER :

you can copy and paste it also

INFOLAWYER :

onto word or e-mail

INFOLAWYER :

or both of course

Customer:

Okay, thanks.

INFOLAWYER :

take care

INFOLAWYER :

turned the rating button on

INFOLAWYER :

Please rate it excellent

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping employers and employees.