Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Can a new hire be forced to reveal information in a sealed

Can a new hire be forced to reveal information in a sealed court record

Thank you for your question today, I look forward to assisting you. I bring nearly 20 years of legal experience in various disciplines.

Ohio law states that an employer can not ask an employee about a sealed conviction unless the question directly bears on the employment that the person is going to be engaged in.

That's a fairly slippery standard, as you can imagine, and often the employer doesn't know if the answer will relate until they understand the nature of the conviction.

So, some employers shy away from asking, simply because they recognize the completely unclear law on the topic and some employers choose to roll the dice and ask everything, also understanding how unclear the law is (expecting that their question will at least be considered in "good faith.")

being considered. Ohio Rev. Code Ann. §§ 2953.32, 2953.33, 2953.55