John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was on unemployment for 6 months. I lived off that money

I was on unemployment for 6 months. I lived off that money only and I have the w-2? to prove it. I started a business with a man. All the money that was made and put into this business acct I never touched, he took all the money. My accountant has all the corrected tax info and also removed my name from the business- which actually turned out to be a front for him. He is mad that the w-2's were adjusted because he was hiding child support and I just found out he was laundering money from this business acct to another acct- trading on stock market . I am naive about business accts. He contacted re employment with the incorect w-2's and they want to know why I never claimed I made money? Should I wait for the accountant to provide the correct w-2.for re employment? I know he received it and this why he is mad. The re employment office wants a statement from me why I never claimed the amount the money I made. It is listed in the business bank statement under my id but I never took money and the business partner told me it ws ok.---at the time
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. Although he contacted unemployment with the incorrect figures, it will not be a problem if you contact unemployment now to explain the situation and tell them that you'll have the company accountant provide you with the correct figures asap. Ultimately, if they deny benefits based on this you have the right to appeal and have a hearing. With the facts that you've provided, although you were attempting to start a company, you had no wage or income - thus you clearly would be entitled to unemployment benefits for the weeks in question. You may even want to have the accountant be a witness at the appeal hearing, assuming it goes that far.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions or concerns. I'm happy to answer.

Customer:

What do I tell the re employment office about the bank statements showing i did make money for the company because it show my id number? He sure snowed me. Do i just state what I told you???

Customer:

He is out for revenge because he may go to jail and he is trying to control me and scare me like in the past. Unbelievable.I just want to give a correct and professional statement.

EmplmntLaw1 :

Just that regarless of whether you made money for the company, you never received it; i.e., it makes no difference that you were working only that the money was never in your possession and probably that even if you did ask for it you wouldn't have received anything because the whole company was a front.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX appreciate it because I want this to be over and him leave me alone. I lost over 10,000 dollars that I put into the fake business front and he moved to Colorado and lived off of it. I will never ever do this again. The accountant is working on the taxes and has filed an extension due to the complexity of his fraud. For all the money he took and the taxes were pd up until he moved to Colorado and he left and didn't care about any other taxes to be pd and still wanted the company to stay in business. In hind site, this was all planned. It's hard to close the business account because it's overdrawn and he doesn't care. All the business statements come to my home address and I am the only one trying to figure this mess out. I really can't afford an attorney and I hope by providing re employment this information it will end

EmplmntLaw1 :

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

John, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Exclusively practice labor and employment law.