TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

NBC TV deprived me of my pension benefits claiming that I did

NBC TV deprived me of my pension benefits claiming that I did not enroll for pension; yet my paycheck showed pension deduction throughout my 7 years as manger of the new computer center at 30 Rock, NYC. What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

When did you become aware that they were not going to pay you your pension as promised?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2005. I had many phone with NBC personnel at 30 Rock, NYC and the RCA contact personnel in Fl.

I even told them that I have pay subs from NBC (RCA) and NBC (GE). The stubs indicated pension deductions.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, I have another question:

When were the payments on your pension scheduled to begin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

2009 at 65.

My date of birth is 1944

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

NBC's failure to honor its contractual promise to pay you pension benefits, coupled with the fact that it reduced your paycheck for those benefits, triggers your right to claim for breach of contract. Further, you may have a claim under ERISA (the federal retirement benefits law) for their failure to properly handle your claim for benefits.

Because this claim is likely quite valuable, you need to have it handled by a local attorney specializing in employment law and ERISA rights. NYC is full of very qualified employment law attorneys that can handle this claim for you.

The statute of limitations for this claim is 6 years from the breach. Since you should have started to receive the benefits in 2009, that is when the statute starts to run. Accordingly, you have until 2015 to bring these claims. However, I encourage you to start on it immediately by making appointments with local attorneys to see if they will take your case. You should request that the case be taken on a contingency fee (where you do not have to pay unless you win the case).

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating positively does not cause an additional charge and does not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you recommend an attorney in New York City?

Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, the website rules prohibit us from making direct recommendations. I apologize for the inconvenience.
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination