TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I work at a small independent bookstore. I requested a contract.

I work at a small independent bookstore. I requested a contract. The owner says he worked in employment law for many years, and I would actually lose rights if I had a contract. I want job security, and my immediate supervisor is a bit of a character, who tends to micromanage and give unsolicited advice.

What state are you in?

Also, what is your exact question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Alaska.

Do I have more job security with a contract? Do I actually lose anything (security, rights) with a contract? What could go wrong and how could I prevent it?

To tell you that you get less security with a contract is absolutely false.

Right now, you are an at-will employee. You can be fired or let go for any reason, or no reason whatsoever, and there is nothing you can do about it.

If you have a contract, you want to ask that you only be terminated for cause. You should avoid signing any sort of non-disclosure or non-competition agreement. You should also insist that you be given a notice period if they intend to let you go (i.e., 90 days). If you can, try also to negotiate a severance payment if they lay you off.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you.