ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Are parent in laws covered under FMLA

Are parent in laws covered under FMLA

ScottyMacEsq :

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am researching your issue and will respond shortly.

ScottyMacEsq :

Virginia does not have a separate edical leave act, so any medical leave would be pursuant to the Federal Family Medical Leave Act only.

Customer:

ok thanks

ScottyMacEsq :

One moment...

Customer:

So this means that parents in law are not covered?

ScottyMacEsq :

29 CFR 825.122(c) specifically defines this: "Parent means a biological, adoptive, step or foster father or mother, or any other individual who stood in loco parentis to the employee when the employee was a son or daughter as defined in paragraph (d) of this section. This term does not include parents “in law.”"

ScottyMacEsq :

That's correct.

ScottyMacEsq :

It is very broad term, but typically means someone who is a biologically or adoptive parent, or stood in that role when the covered worker was a child.

ScottyMacEsq :

It would not apply to a spouse's parents (inlaws), although that spouse could have leave if he or she is likewise covered under FMLA, and coverage of biological or adoptive parents is specifically covered.

ScottyMacEsq :

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX luck to you!j

Customer:

Thaks