How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 34082
Experience:  Employment Law Expert
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Over paid illegal at work for months did not report it administration

This answer was rated:

Over paid illegal at work for months did not report it administration found out about it what can they do tome
Thanks for the chance to help. I am an attorney with over 12 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

Can you tell me, are you a union employee?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you

And is the concern you will be terminated? Or just loose the overpayment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Terminated and prosecuted


They have filed criminal charges?

What is the charge?? Are they claiming you committed fraud somehow?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The person paying me committed fraud I excepted it so even though I denied that I knew she was doing it they swy I just as guilty as she is


Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Waiting for response

Very sorry...I was called away on a minor emergency...just a moment please I will type it up Ma'am
Again, sorry for the delay...I was called away unexpectedly.

What you describe could be criminal misconduct. Depends on what you knew and what you did...

In order to be a crime (that can lead to a criminal conviction and criminal sanctions like prison or fines) the state must be able to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that you took some action to assist with the crime.

So, for example, if you helped this person commit fraud (and steal money from the company)?

Then they state could take you to a criminal trial and try and prove that.

But just knowing about a crime and not reporting it, in most cases, is not a crime.

Now...there are some "grey areas"...for example, if your job was to oversee the finances of the company and you "looked the other way" to allow the theft? That would be a crime.

And even if your job was not directly related to finance in the company, if you knew that someone else was stealing from the company, and you benefited from that and did nothing? That may be something the state could prosecute.

It really depends on context.

If you are questioned by the police, you will want to consider invoking your right to remain good reason to give a statement and potentially incriminate yourself.

To prove theft, they have to prove you assisted in some way...

Simply not reporting would not be enough to be considered a crime in most cases.

Now...can they fire you?

That is up to the union rules...if you are part of a union the union will have rules that control how they can or can not fire you. But even if they can not prove a crime, if there is evidence that you knew of misconduct and benefitted from it, that is likely enough under the union rules to terminate. You would want to talk to your union representative to discuss your appeal rights under the union rules.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: To find you guilty of a crime they have to prove that you assisted in some way...if they can not do that? Then they will not be able to convict. you.

Again, sorry for the delay...please let me know if you have more questions regarding this.

P. Simmons and other Employment Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Employment Law Questions