JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
14211116

I want to write a letter to a prospective employer who rescinded

I want to write a letter to a prospective employer who rescinded my offer because I had a poor credit report which is now completely paid off in full..what do I say to conclude and add a strong case for them to reconsider me
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.

JB Umphrey :

Welcome and thank you for your question!

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

You can reply to me using the box below.

In order to assist you, it would be helpful to know:

1. In what country is the employer located?

2. When was the job offer rescinded?

3. Was there an error in your credit report? Or did the report show an unpaid debt and you have now since paid it?

I look forward to your reply.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No error in credit report. I had charge-offs that were cleared in full and now no outstanding debt. It was cleared just around the time the background check was being done. The reason cited was I am financially irresponsible. I want to write a letter stating the reasons for me being in that state, but to know that I have no outstanding debt and have more to offer that the offer should not be rescinded. I want a good concluding statement in my letter that would state the above in a convincing manner
Employer in UK. Offer rescinded recently.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the follow-up. Am I correct to understand that you are located in the U.S. but the employer is located in the U.K.?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. But the employer is a global firm headquartered in UK.

They conducted the check using my ssn given and got my US credit report.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. And, it would be helpful to know:

1. When was the offer rescinded?

2. When did you clear the charge offs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

offer rescinded a few days ago. charge offs cleared a month and 1/2 ago. I may not have a chance of changing their decision but I want to write a powerful concluding statement in the hope that they will.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Do you have written proof of the charge-offs having occurred and did you give them that proof when it happened (i.e., before the offer was rescinded)?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. I just want to confirm, you gave them proof of the charge-offs before they rescinded the offer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

they also had my permission to obtain my credit report.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you but this is a critical point that I want to be verified. Did you give them proof that the charge offs were paid before they rescinded the offer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. Proof was given from creditors that chargeoffs were paid before they rescinded.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That is very, very helpful. So, let us assess these factors then. If the prospective employer already had proof that the charge-offs were satisfied before rescinding their offer, what new/additional information will you be giving them with the letter you wish to write to them.

In other words, your letter cannot just re-hash the past because they already know about that.

When you write your new letter to them, what NEW information do you wish to give them so that they more favorably consider you in the future?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

First, that my recent poor credit is not an indicator of my lack of financial responsibility and it was brought on by extenuating circumstances which I did mention also at the time of background check. Second, my skills and personal integrity..I just want to rehash this explicitly as a final/last ditch effort to see if they will reconsider and reconsider their decision..because i was selected from a very select few.

I just need the last few lines in my letter that will make them revisit this...a good last line.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Very well. Then it is necessary to focus on the here and now. What has changed in your personal circumstances which ensure to them that such charge offs will not occur in the future?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no outstanding debt..no partial settlement, paid in full. no more family medical expenses that came suddenly and unplanned..prior to this good credit history.. thats all i have

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. And are you currently rebuilding your emergency savings plan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Dont have any yet as im in b-school..but eventually will.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. When do you plan to next apply for a new position with this employer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

not applying just wanting to respond so they reconsider the "decision to rescind".

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Then, we need to look at this from a different perspective. We need to look at this from the perspective of the employer.

From the employer's side of things, why is it in their best interest to withdraw the letter and proceed with hiring you? Why is it in the employer's best interest to do that? That is the question they are going to have and that is the question your letter must answer.

What is that reason?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

i wish i knew..i know their reason was im not financialy responsible..but iv paid it off now..reasons they hired me..best fit ,

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
I understand. Why do you believe they place such a high importance on demonstrated financial responsibility of their employees?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

its a big investment bank..so how can i convince them..

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
I understand that it may be a great challenge for you to do because you really want the job.

However, you have to make the effort to remove yourself from the situation.

You have to put yourself in their shoes. You have to work to understand their policies and why they enforce them. When you have done that, then you can focus on addressing their policy concern.

So, why do you believe a big investment bank places such a high importance on demonstrated financial responsibility of their employees?

In other words, what is the risk the bank wants to avoid by having employees who have a demonstrated past of financial problems?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I know the importance of demonstrated financial responsibility, but how can i convince them about overlooking my one-off slip-up? any ideas?

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
This is the key and you cannot be afraid to tackle this issue head on. Why is it so important for demonstrated financial responsibility? What is the risk that they want to avoid?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

that i will not use investors money to fund my financial issues? but i cannot imagine there is no employee in a fin firm who did not have some sort of credit issue..

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

First, let me sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the delay in my response to you. The site -- for some reason -- had a locking problem with your particular thread. I simply could not get back into your question thread to reply. I notified the engineers and it took a bit before I could get back in to reply to you.

For my delay, I apologize. It should not have occurred and I apologize for the inconvenience to you.

Your understanding of the reasoning for the employer's policy is exactly correct. Make no mistake. All financial institutions have the same policy. They want to reduce their risk that employees will embezzle their assets to take care of personal matters.

Thus, your letter cannot take issue with their policy, whether it's valid or not, or whether or not it's been fairly applied in the past.

Rather, your letter must solidly acknowledge why a candidate with charge offs would be a risk (this shows the employer respect for their policy) and THEN you address how you are not a risk for them. You have to explain to them what you've learned from the experience, what personal choices you have made to ensure that it will never happen again, and explain why they do not have to be concerned about you being tempted to embezzle their assets to take care of personal financial matters.

Keep in mind, they may have been terribly burned by past employees.

You have to explain yourself in such a way that gives them the assurance that you do not present that danger for their customers.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.