TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Is it possible and maybe even common for an employee that is

Is it possible and maybe even common for an employee that is single, and that has health insurance with his employer, and his health insurance is also set up for a single person only, for his health insurance premium to suddenly increase anywhere from $150.00 to $200.00 per month than what the premium costed before, and for such an occurance to take place in the middle of the year like say in May or June? Thank you.

VAMD, Esq. :

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

VAMD, Esq. :

I would not say that is common.

VAMD, Esq. :

However, it is certainly possible.

VAMD, Esq. :

The employer may have decided not to cover as much of the premium as before.

VAMD, Esq. :

Unless you would have an employment contract that specifies the amount of the premium that the employer would cover, then the employer can change that at any time, so long as you are given advanced notice.

VAMD, Esq. :

The premium itself may have also increased.

VAMD, Esq. :

So, although I can't say it is common, it is certainly plausible.

VAMD, Esq. :

Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied. Also, your positive feedback is much appreciated.

Thank you for using our service!

Customer:

Is it likely that an employer would decide not to cover as much of the premium as before even with all the uncertainty there is out there about new health care laws?

Customer:

And when you say that the premium itself may have also increased, the premium can itself increase $150.00 to $200.00 more monthly than before even with all the uncertainty there is out there about new health care laws?

Customer:

And in May or June regarding both questions?

Customer:

And for a single person only to all questions?

VAMD, Esq. :

I don't see that any of the new healthcare laws would impact whether or not an employer would decide to not cover as much of the premiums.

VAMD, Esq. :

And yes, the premiums can certainly increase as well, despite any new healthcare laws.

VAMD, Esq. :

I would not view the new healthcare laws as impacting either decision.

VAMD, Esq. :

Nor does the time of year or the fact that you're single impact that decision.

VAMD, Esq. :

Thank you for using our service!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just one more question, are there any common reasons why an employer might all of a sudden decide not to cover as much of the premium as before and why the premium itself would just increase? Thank you.

Hi again.

The premium can generally increase on a yearly basis (i.e., when the contract needs to be renewed) depending on the insurance company's policies and the cost of the insuring the company's employees. As for reasons that the employer may opt to cover less of the premiums, there are too many possibilities to name. The employer may be having financial difficulties, or the owners may be stingy, or ownership may have changed hands and the new owners always require employees to pay more, or [fill in the blank]. I would not necessarily say that any reason is common or uncommon, other than the fact that in a broad sense the economy in still struggling to improve, companies need to cut costs where possible, and healthcare in general continues to rise rapidly.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

November and December are the common months when the type of changes as I have described above normally take place, right?

Hi again.

I would agree with that simply because most agreements with insurance companies are annually renewed at that time. But there is no law that says they have to be annually renewed at that time. They can be renewed in the summer months on an annual basis.