RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
18284290

How can I answer in an interview why I was fired from my last

How can I answer in an interview why I was fired from my last job? I was fired from a Bank in 2006, I was not agreeing with my manager and she was looking for any mistakes I could make, She was giving accounts to a colleague, the manager was opening accounts under my coworker's id, which was against the rules and ethics of the Bank, I reported with the fraud internal department, but nothing happen. I was suppose to get 30 new accounts in a month, in June 2006 I got 70, I was very good reaching the goals I was getting the bonus every quarter, any how, that particular month, according to her I made 7 mistakes in different accounts, mistakes in the system. The bank just fired me and several months later when I was checking what it was in their records they said "lack of trust" which it is not fair because I did not steal anything. I don't know how can I say the truth without hurting myself (not getting the job). After the Bank I started to work for myself so I did not have any problem to explain to anybody, but we are closing the company because my husband is going to retire but I am not and I can not continue with my trucking company without him. So I decided to get a job with somebody else.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm a Moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we can wait
Expert:  Josie-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your continued patience. We will continue the search for a professional for you.
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question.

I would agree that you shouldn't lie, but I think you can phrase the truth the way you did here and still be okay.

You could for example say something like "I loved my job at Bank X, and I was very good in my position, often exceeding required goals. For example, in June 2006, I more than doubled the amount of accounts I had to open. However, a situation arose where a manager was violating the rules and ethics of the bank, which I reported to the fraud department. Within a short time of doing so, I was terminated for alleging making multiple mistakes. I don't feel I made these mistakes, or that this had anything to do with a lack of trust or a failure to be a team player or productive worker, but rather was a result of my complaints about the manager. I would have liked to have stayed with that company, as I enjoyed the people I worked with and the job I did, but it did teach me valuable skills that I have used in my next job."
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience: Experienced in multiple areas of the law.