JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.

I requested transfer at work from my clinic to another clinic.

I requested transfer at work from my clinic to another clinic. I interviewed at new clinic for FULL time position that they advertised for. Manager there said I should put in my transfer formally and I did. I followed company policy by informing my present manager and having her sign off on transfer request form. I have no disciplinary actions after 25 yrs of employment with this large health care organization. Now suddenly, my present area manager tells me the other clinic does not require a full time nurse, and that staffing needs require that I remain in my present clinic and even to train a nurse prior to my departure. They have floaters who they do not want to use to replace me. They tell me other nurses are not familiar with my present clinic or the computer system. I was instructed to participate in conference calls which I believe are recorded with 3 managers from my present clinic and one from the clinic that I applied to. The conference call subject this coming Monday is regarding covering my present clinic and possibly the clinic I'm interested in transferring to. I feel this is not the usual course of action for employee's requesting to transfer. They usually approve transfers within one month, no conference calls...I am bilingual and feel the area manager for my present facility is bullying me. I don't think human resources will intervene because my present manager is using staffing as an excuse when in fact, she does not want to take on the responsibility for my clinic. I feel I'm being bullied by my present manager to postpone my transfer indefinitely. Do I have any options. I have kept emails requesting that I attend conference calls....
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 12 months ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described, It would be helpful to know: do you belong to a union?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.

No. I'm a registered nurse in IL. No unions.

Thank you. You are free to share your concerns with HR. The actions you've described are unprofessional but they do not violate any current laws.

If I were to speculate, it would be that your supervisor doesn't want to lose you have to to hire/train a new employee. That's a lot of work and s/he does not want to do that. The manager is acting out of pure selfishness.

Keep in mind, it's not against the law to be a poor manager.

What your manager is doing is not fair or professional but there's no legal option to pursue. You can only discuss your concerns with the manager or go through HR to try to work them out. Those are your options. They are internal ones.

There is no external help that the courts can offer.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.