Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

Can my company (15 yrs service) cut my pay $5 hr and I still

Can my company (15 yrs service) cut my pay $5 hr and I still have same duties?

Thank you for the question. Unfortunately, unless you have an employment contract that locks in your pay and duties for a specific period, then an employer in Texas, and in any state for that matter, may change any of the terms and conditions of employment they choose to. That includes wages and duties. The only other restrictions on the reduction of wages is that the employer cannot lower wages below minimum wage and they cannot reduce wages in a discriminatory manner by targeting an employee because they are a member of a protected class under employment discrimination laws. Otherwise, they are free to lower wages even if the action is unfair an arbitrary.

If you believe that you fit into one of the exceptions that I mentioned, you should consult with a local employment law attorney about whether they think you have a basis for filing suit based on all of the specific facts you provide them.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.