Zachary
Zachary, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

TERMINATED DUE TO THE CLAIM OF A VIDEO SHOWING ME LEAVING THE

TERMINATED DUE TO THE CLAIM OF A VIDEO SHOWING ME LEAVING THE WORKPLACE DURING WORK HOURS AND NOT RETURNING. THIS DID NOT HAPPEN AND IS A LIE. BEEN THERE 7 YEARS WITH NOTHING BUT A GREAT WORK RECORD. THERE WERE NO QUESTIONS ASKED JUST IMMEDIATE DISMISSAL. IS THIS SLANDER? DO I HAVE GROUNDS FOR A SUIT ?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Slander is where one person makes a false statement to a third party about you which tends to injure your reputation. Do you know if someone told a lie about you to your boss and who that person was?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The statement was made by the company owner to my supervisor and no proof was provided or date was provided.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
This is a difficult situation.

The law provides that a business owner may terminate an employee for any reason or not reason whatsoever (this is called the At-Will employment rule).

Because it is the business owner who is requesting your termination, even if for a false reason, this is not going to be a situation where the termination was wrongful.

As that is the case, even though it is slanderous, the termination was technically legal because of the at-will rule. The law is very lopsided on the side of the employer in this case.

I'm sorry I couldn't give you better news, but it is better to know whether or not you have a case, and to not waste time pursuing a claim you won't win.

Please let me know if you have any further questions. Please also kindly consider rating my answer positively so that I am compensated by the website for my work on your question. Rating does not cause an additional charge and will not prevent us from further discussing your questions.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I understand the at will situation and was concerned about that. Do I have any stance with the slander challenge and a possible suit? Does he have to provide any proof?

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
The slander suit is not really a good lawsuit to be frank with you. If he told a future potential employer that you did this, then you would have a good slander lawsuit. But right now it really is not a very good suit at all because he had a right to terminate you for whatever reason he chooses, even if it was a false reason.

Now, if you claim unemployment and they use this as a reason to deny you unemployment, then you can dispute it at this point and they will have to prove that you did what they claim you did.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help. At least I can file for unemployment.

Expert:  Zachary replied 1 year ago.
I would encourage you to do that.

Best Regards,
ZDN
Zachary, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination