LawHelpNow
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

Work from union hall. Referred to employer for employment.

Work from union hall. Referred to employer for employment. Never worked for employer before. Was refused employment. Is NLRB a place to argue my case based on "assumed" discrimination?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.

Hello Rick,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share the following information with you.

Yes, you certainly do have recourse here in terms of legal remedies. Here's how that works.

Pertaining to the union, your case falls under the coverage of a federal law called the National Labor Relations Act, (sometimes also referred to as the Wagner Act, named for its sponsor, New York Senator Robert F. Wagner), Pub.L. 74–198, 49 Stat. 449, codified as amended at 29 U.S.C. §§ 151–169. The federal agency created by this law and charged with investigating such matters is the National Labor Relations Board, as you mentioned. Complaints are handled by the applicable Regional Office. To find yours, here is a free directory tool (please just click the following link):

Find Your Regional Office

Contact information is listed on the upper right hand side of each web page. There is no charge for filing your complaint.

Here's a free form to use:

NLRB Form 508 - Charge Against Labor Organization or its Agents

I really do hope things soon look brighter, and please know you deserve to be treated properly.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NLRB appears to be a good starting point, but is NLRB the only agency that can argue labor relations with unions?
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hi there Rick,
Thanks for writing back...great to hear from you!
Yes, indeed, and that's a very logical question. There is no private cause of action in this regard, meaning it's an exclusive remedy. In other words, filing such a complaint is not only an option, it is "the" (only) next step to take. Furthermore, this agency enjoys exclusive statutory jurisdiction, so it's either there or nowhere, so to speak.
Hang in there and know I'm holding a good thought for you!
Kind regards,
Ben, J.D.
LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience: Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.
Expert:  LawHelpNow replied 1 year ago.
Hello Rick,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Thanks!

Ben, J.D.