LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I work for the federal goverment. I have been trying to get

I work for the federal goverment. I have been trying to get a promotion for the past 5 or 6 years. I have been working as a GS 12 position for the past 5 years. I took a voluntary downgrade so I could be closer to my father (disabled). Currently, I am a GS 11. I have applied for 4 GS 12 positions and 2 GS 13 positions but in all instances I was denied the promotion (by different decision makers).

I understand the denials for the GS 13 but in all instances with the GS 12 positions I had more experience than the person selected. Is there any recourse in these instances?

Hello Norrin,
I'm sorry to hear of your predicament and will be happy to try and help.
Could you please tell me the name of your employer (agency)?
Ben, J.D.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

SSA (Social Security Administration)

Hello Norrin,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for the circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you, as follows.

Assuming you're looking at merit based grounds and not unlawful discrimination or retaliation (which would be handled by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or the Office of Special Counsel, you do have a right of appeal as a non-probationary employee, pursuant to 5 U.S.C. § 7511. Here's how that process works. You're required to first exhaust any grievance procedure, meaning your next step would be to contact your union. If that doesn't resolve the matter, then you can seek redress from the Merit Systems Protection Board. Your union representative should be able to assist you, but here's the specific point of contact:

Central Regional Office

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Hello Norrin,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, J.D.