JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
14211116

I believe there are rumors about me at my place of employment,

I believe there are rumors about me at my place of employment, started by the Manager of my department. He has NOT spoken with me, However I am told, of what is being said. The information provided to me, will not come forth with how, what, when, where or why.

My response, unless someone will stand up for me, what is the use in knowing.

However, I believe someone in my department was reprimanded the other day and sent to HR because they were talking about it. However, all of this is happening and STILL I was never approached. I am at a lost.

However, the director of my department has been also talking about to other co-workers and making a joke out of it.. It's so messed up and I am the sitting duck.

What happen, from what I understand is extremely humiliating.

I just need some help.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of the facts you've described. When did you go to your manager to talk about this rumor-spreading?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. My manager, NOT once approached me about it or anything. Remember, I am in the 'Supposed to be Dark" about it. He probably thought it would go away.. But, now that he knows the department is talking about it, I'm sure he knows, this has gone too far.

It was never mentioned to me.

I went to HR about it and they said, if no one comes forth regarding any type of Rumor, there was nothing that can be done.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Okay, thank you. Please help me understand: what is the outcome that you are seeking?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I want to know how to approach this situation if no-one is rightly coming forth. This is truly involving deformation of character on my part of course. And the manager, director and staff are breaking ethical policies for the company. We just took a yearly ethics code of conduct test a few months back, on how to treat your co-workers, etc..

If this indeed was started by management, then there is definitely an issue.

But, I guess your concern is, no proof, no case!!

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
I assume that one or more of your co-workers heard the rumor and told you about it. If that is, indeed, the situation, what happened when you had those co-workers go to HR to confirm that they heard the rumor?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

That is just it!

No one will go to HR on my defense. What's the use of telling me, if no-one wants to help me? Just me informed of the rumors??

They're too scared to say anything to HR, fear from being harassed, etc.

Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. If your co-workers won't go to HR, then it means that (a) they're not your friends, and (b) perhaps the rumors are not true and someone is messing with you.

There is nothing else that HR can do at this juncture.

What you have learned is that your co-workers are not your friends.

The only thing you can do, if you want, is to directly ask your manager about it and clear the air from that front.

There is no independent legal action that can be taken. No legal wrong has occurred. It's a toxic work environment but no laws have been broken.

I hope this helps to clarify the boundaries.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.