TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I have been with the same employer for almost 20 years, this

I have been with the same employer for almost 20 years, this past year, I have been counseled over the issue of odor. Of course, this is embarrasing to me and I feel I have bent over backwards trying to address this issue only to find out that the problem is still popping up. I am washing my clothes in febreeze, of course I take a shower daily, am now washing my hair every day and even leave the shoes I wear out in the car. This issue is only at work, my friends and members of my church have told me they don't smell an odor on me or around me when I am with them. My self esteem is low and so is my morale. I am on the point of retiring but my family and friends tell me it sounds like my work is trying to get rid of me. basically, I am at a point where I am feeling harrassed. I have told my supervisor and director that no one else smells an odor on me except at work. the response i received from them is well the'yre not around you 8 hours a day. When i said I was around them for several hours, next answer from them is well you're in a carrell. If I have an odor like that, I think my friends and family would also be noticing. Is there something I can do regarding this persistent odor that neither I nor my friends notice?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question and I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Unfortunately, issues like this do come up at work and can cause you to lose your job if you do not act to protect yourself. My first recommendation is to go to the doctor and explain your situation and ask the doctor to write a letter for your employment that points to the odor being the result of a medical condition. This will offer you some level of protection as your employer will not be able to point to your personal hygeine as a reason to fire you. The next thing I would recommend is asking the doctor for some sort of treatment that can provide you with relief from the odor.

If you can follow these steps, you can potentially seek protection under the Texas Human Rights Act and claim that you are being discrminated against as a result of a medical disability. I am unaware of any case that is similar to yours where an odor has been found to be a disability, but this is likely your best bet for trying to get legal protection.

Please let me know if you have further questions. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I am compensated for my work on your question.

Best Regards,

ZDN

TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination