TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I was just terminated without cause. Under my severance contract

I was just terminated without cause. Under my severance contract the termination date reads Feb 21, 2013 and release date of Aug 20, 2013. (6 months severance). It also reads I am responsible for COBRA coverage after Feb 28, 2013. Is my employer legally allowed to extend the health covereage benefits to the release date of Aug 20, 2013 (before I ask them to agree I wanted to see what the legal boundries are).

Thank you for your question.

Your employer is allowed as part of a severance package to legally extend your health insurance benefits to cover the 6 month severance period. This is legal.

Good luck and let me know whether you need anything further on this issue. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I may be compensated for my work on your question.

Thanks,
ZDN