JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.

My supervisor has placed restrictions and rules on me and none

My supervisor has placed restrictions and rules on me and none of my other coworkers. He doesn't have a valid reason other than the fact he doesn't like me. He has been the supervisor for a little over a year before that he was my coworker. Is this acceptable behavior?
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your experience. It would be helpful to know, what was the outcome of your union grievance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

They haven't contacted me as of today some of the restrictions have been lifted however; I still have some...On December 10,2012 my supervisor pulled me into a one on one conference and restricted from working in the field. He also accused me of completing a client interview which I presented him with a statement from the client proving that he completed it. He also said my reports weren't substantial I asked for written clarification as to what is expected in the reports.( I also made copies of his old reports and they weren't even as good as mine.) On 1/21/13 he gave me my performance review which listed I did not hand in

ninety percent of my work how could I when he rendered me ineffective once he restricted from the field for over a month. As of today I must hand in a schedule of the sites I will be visiting and hand in a report within 48 hours of visiting a site no one else in my unit does this...I even have text messages from one person on several occassions telling me she is not a site but conducting personal business.

Okay, thank you. For the restrictions that are still in place, are you being treated differently because of your race, age, gender, national origin, disability, religion, or pregnancy?

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't know if I am being treated differently however; I am the youngest person in the unit, I have been out on disability for pulmonary embolism, pneumonia, depression, and rotator cuff surgery, I am a bisexual female. I am a permanent employee I had to pass a civil service examination, and have a degree to receive my position as opposed to the provisional employees (this is what my supervisor is and most of my co-workers), they were hired through their political connections.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Also, I am the only African-American female in my unit, my supervisor is African-American as well, I'm not sure if he doesn't feel comfortable asserting himself to my Caucasian and Hispanic coworkers.

Thank you.

From the facts that you've described, your supervisor may be a poor manager, however, what he's done is not illegal. Not all forms of different treatment are against the law. It's only against the law if the supervisor has an illegal motivation (e.g., is doing it BECAUSE OF your race, age, gender, national origin, disability, religion, or pregnancy.

What does this mean, botXXXXX XXXXXne? It means that you have no recourse through the EEOC or courts. You can talk with management and/or you can work through your union. But those are your only options. The courthouse can't help.

I know that this is not what you wanted to hear but you deserve a candid answer. I wish very much that I could offer you an answer that was more favorable to your circumstances, but the law seems to be pretty clear. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.