JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.

I was recently fired from a large Sheriffs Office in South

I was recently fired from a large Sheriffs Office in South Carolina after thirty years. I was told it was for talking slow. Of coarse there is more to the story. I had a conversation with the Sheriff and explain it was retaliatory stemming from a complaint I had made about my doper visors. Misconduct in office I have not heard back even though he said he would look into it. How long do I wait for a response and what is my next move. Can not afford an attorney
Welcome and thank you for your question!

I am sorry to learn of your job loss. What is a doper visor?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
A dopa visor is a misspelled supervisor
Thank you. Did you belong to a union?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No we do not have a Union and work " at the pleasure o the Sheriff". He is not required to give any reason .
Thank you. What was the complaint you had made about the supervisor?

When did you make that complaint?

When were you fired?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The first Ike was around March oh last year. It was for having Uniform Patrol stalking her lover's wife attempting to catch her driving and have her arrested. She had also had someone she was seeing "I arrested" and took him home in her patrol car. Another agency had arrested him .
Did you complain to the sheriff that your supervisor was breaking the law and did the sheriff fire you because of that?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not think the Sheriff was aware of it until I spoke with him. After I was fired. My Sgt, Captain andChief were mad because the Sheriff had approved people donating sick leave and so they hatch this plan to fire me before I went out for surgery on 12-05-2012
What was the Sheriff's reason for firing you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The supervisors told him a Lt, from the jail had called and I was talking slow. They all came to the Warrant Office at 10:30 on a Friday night and relieved me of mt duties. They said I was over medicated bot I had not taken any pain medication before or at work, I had left it at home so that I would not be tempted to take anything at work because I was in severe pain. Took something when I got home, They could have tested my blood to see what levels of meds were in my system
Thank you. So, you were fired because of your medical condition?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If them saying I was over medicated is a medical condition, then yes . But a blood test would have shown I was not.
Why are you on medication? What's the medical condition that you were taking medication for and going out for surgery for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was having a total knee replacement two days later. On loritab from pain bot not at work. I may not have told you I spoke with both Lts at jail and they both said they do not even remember talking to me that Friday night. So they did not call anybody. If I had taken my meds I could have been walking better, when they said I was talking slow, I ask "walking slow or talking slow". I thought I had misheard them
If this is a situation where you were fired due to your medical condition, and if you were able to safely perform your assigned duties, you may want to contact you local EEOC office and file a charge of discrimination/wrongful termination.

In South Carolina, the local office is:

Greenville Local Office
Location: 301 N. Main Street
Suite 1402
Greenville, SCNNN-NN-NNNN
Phone: 1-800-669-4000
TTY: 1-800-669-6820

Office Hours:

The Greenville Local Office is open for charge receipts Monday through Thursday from 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. and on Fridays from 8:30 to noon. You may call first to obtain information and directions. You must arrive by 2:30 p.m. to assure same day service.

The process for filing a charge of discrimination with the EEOC is explained here:

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back. I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not think that will help because we work for an elected official "at the pleasre of this sheriff" but I will try
You are very welcome. Please do not forget to click on excellent service feedback so that we are credited for assisting you.

~~ J.B.