TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I am a health care provider(pharmacist) ;

I am a health care provider(pharmacist) I have 41 years' experience; 12 years with current employer(largest chain in the US) They are desperate to get rid of me; they have attempted to use several trumped up charges; this morning my immediate supervisor asked for my resignation the first of next year; I was considering reducing my hours the first of next year; but I resent being let go solely due to my age- This company has eliminated several older pharmacists; but I intend to fight- Any ideas???

Thank you for your question.

Age discrimination in employment is illegal and if your employer's actions are based on your age, then you would have a claim. Any sort of adverse emnployment action which is motivated by the employees age (if employee is over 40) is illegal pursuant to the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

Filing a claim with EEOC is required before you can file a lawsuit for violations of federal law protecting you from age discrimination in your employment. After the EEOC investigates, it will take action or will grant you a "right to sue". You must file your lawsuit within 90 days of your receipt of a right to sue letter from the EEOC.

In short, file with the EEOC now, then once you get the right to sue, contact your attorney to initiate your lawsuit.