TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

Dear Sirs, We are most likely going to have some layoffs soon.

Dear Sirs,
We are most likely going to have some layoffs soon. One of the employees that has been with us over 15 yrs. has asked me a question I cannot answer. He feels that he does not want to file for UI right away. He has savings that will get him through about a year of searching for a job. If by that time he has not found work he would want to file for unemployment insurance.

First I need to know if he can do this and second if he can will it affect his payments in any way.
Thank you for your prompt response.

Thank you for your question. Your employee is risking not being eligible for the unemployment benefits if he misses the deadline. However, as long as he files within 12 months of becoming unemployed, his claim will be valid.