TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

my manager found a sheet of paper in my printer with somthing

my manager found a sheet of paper in my printer with somthing pornagraphic printed on it.The Printer had been operating before I left for my vacationNov 5.WhenI came back two weeks later my computer and printer were both turned off I turned my computer back on but the printer would not work,when my manager fixed the printer a piece of paper written in microsoft word full of porn came out.She plans to show this to the security dept.I have already told her that on the evening of Nov 4 I stopped in to print airline boarding passes and more than likley left the computer on rather than use my code to shut it downleaving both internet access and microsoft word open for use.I work at a country club and the computer is in a public area.Due to hurricane Sandy their were many people coming in and outas this club is also part of a condo complex not affected by the storm,in addition cleaning staff and maintaince workers also pass through the room.what I think happened was that some visitor typed this document on word tried to print it and some how screwed up the printer shut the computer off and walked away.I have been employed at this club for 15 years with a spotless record.my mgr is determined to get to the bottom of this .what do I do

Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this situation. It certainly is not completely fair for you to take the blame for this situation when it is obvious that someone else used your computer for this purpose.

I assume from your question that it is against company policy for you to access this type of website on the company computers (which is true for almost every business). Luckily, you should be able to determine when the improper website was accessed to show that it was accessed after you left work by someone else.

The easiest way to do this would be to go through the history log on your web browser. The history log should show the date, and usually shows the time on which the adult website was accessed.

After establishing the time the website was accessed, you then need to prove your "alibi" by showing that you had already left the building, etc.

Of course, the fact that you left your computer accessible may create a problem for you if it is company policy for you to shut your computer down so that no one on the premises can use it when you leave work. North Carolina is an "at will", meaning your employer can terminate you for any reason (or for no reason other than it simply wants to) unless you have an employment contract which provides otherwise or if the reason is an illegal one (such as racial discrimination, etc.).

Please let me know if you have further questions. If not, please rate my services positively so that I may receive payment for my work on your question from the website.

Best Regards,
ZDN