TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

I received an email from my billing department regarding a

I received an email from my billing department regarding a code that was not billable. I responded by stating that I could only diagnosed what was present because it would be unethical and fraudulent to do anything else. That email was forwarded to the CEO and the CEO responded to me in an angry way. Later that email was forwarded to other staff that has nothing to do with this client. Here is the problem the billing department put the child entire name in the mail and the CEO sent it to other staff who were not involved in patient care. I work at a middle school school base clinic and she sent it to all the staff at the elementary school clinic including the receptionist? Was HIPPA if so by whom. Also is have a sign in sheet at the front desk of a school clinic a violation of HIPPA where other clients can see it.

Thank you for your question.

The person who forwarded the email to non-patient care related staff is liable for the HIPPA violation. If the violation was reported, the entire organization could face a fine. However, your are not liable, as you did not perpetuate the unlawful disclosure.

In regard to a sign in sheet, this sort of information is not protected by HIPPA as it does not contain any actual medical information about the patient, it only relates the the patient is seeking medical care.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,