TexLaw
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination
17219180

I am a flat-rate automotive technician. I have been working

I am a flat-rate automotive technician. I have been working for my current employer for almost two years. It came to my attention today that I am not being paid for brake inspections. The work order shows one half hour labor. I went to get my copy of the work order, and could not find, so I obtained a copy of the invoice, and it was charged out at no charge. I raised the question to the business ownerabout the no-charge, and the reply was that they have never charged for a brake inspection. I explained that I was not ever advised of this policy, and not aware. His reply was that there is a good return on brake jobs, so he does not charge.
I inspect anywhere from 3 to 5 vehicles per week, at half an hour each; that is a healty time contribution that was not agreed upon. We have no employee handbook or policy manual that explains company policy or procedure. What can be done.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Do you have an employment contract?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

no

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Can you explain a bit more as to how you get paid? For example, you are not getting paid for inspecting brakes, but what is your pay for other aspects of your job?

And is that written down anywhere?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I am paid $25 per hour for all labor operations

There is no documentation whatsoever.

The discrepancy is that my work order shows the 1/2 hour labor charge, when in fact, I am not receiving any compensation for my labor.

Expert:  TexLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response.

Your employer owes you money for the brake inspections.

It sounds like your employer has refused to pay you for what is obviously work for which you should be compensated. As that is the case, I would recommend that you file a wage claim. This is a claim which is filed with the Nebraska Department of Labor. See: dol.nebraska.gov/ for more specific information on filing a wage claim.

Please let me know if you have further questions on this matter. Please also remember to rate my answer positively so that I might receive payment for my work from the website.

Thanks,
ZDN
TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience: Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination