JPEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience as both corporate in-house counsel and private counsel

My severance package has termination on Sept 9th, a Sunday.

My severance package has termination on Sept 9th, a Sunday. I have stock vesting on sept 10 and sept 12th. I have to sign the sererance papers by tomorrow, and the HR group is not answering the phone to negotiate. What can I do? Do I have any legal rights for stock vesting so close to termination date?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JPEsq replied 4 years ago.

Severance is matter of negotiation and contract. There are literally zero rights related to severance (unless there is a collective bargaining agreement) issues. So, no, there would not be any law that would protect you and allow you to get the benefits of vesting after the date determined in the severance agreement.

Your company is not negotiating with you, which they don't have to... anymore than you have to accept the agreement. Some employees have more negotiating leverage that others, where the company really wants them to sign the agreement to protect the company. Others, the company is basically offering the package as a good will gesture. If you are the kind of employee that the company will be hurt if you don't sign it, you can always reject the agreement.

But as it stands, sorry, there is nothing that would help you if you do accept the agreement.