TexLaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Contracts, Wrongful termination and discrimination

Id like to know if there is a law, either federal or Colorado,

I'd like to know if there is a law, either federal or Colorado, that requires employers to give employees an 8-hour window between shifts. If so, can you tell me exactly where I can find it so I can read it. I work a retail company that is notorious for pushing the limits. I'm hearing far too often that co-workers are scheduled to work till 10 pm only to come back in at 6 am. Sometimes it's even 7 hours! If there is a law, I'd like to change it so that there's a 12-hour window rather than 8. Most of us need at least 8 hours of sleep. As it is right now, 8 hours doesn't cover shower time, driving to and from work time, and winding down time. I'd to look at the law (if there is one). Then I'd like to know how to go about it…while we still have laws to protect us.

Thank you for your question. In short, neither Federal or State law prohibits your employer from this type of scheduling practice. In Colorado, you are however entitled to meals and breaks throughout the day. See:

The issue that comes up with this sort of scheduling practice by an employer is whether they are correctly calculating overtime pay, which you are entitled to if you work more than 40 hours in one week.

In regard to your request that there be a law that prohibit more employers from requiring that you start a shift after only 8 hours of sleep, this type of law is not in force in the United States, except for certain industries such as truck drivers and related work. However, there are several countries (mostly European) which do have such laws in place. There are also political parties in the United States pushing to have these sort of laws put in place. In Colorado, your best bet would be to contact the Green Party or the American Socialist Party to obtain information on lobbying the state legislature for a change to the labor laws.

The only way to have the law changed is through the democratic process of legislation.

Please let me know if you need further information or would like to discuss this issue more.