JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
14211116

Is it illegal to record someones conversation without them

Is it illegal to record someone's conversation without them knowing about it?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thank you for your question!

Please clarify: is the conversation occurring in a private setting or in a public place (e.g., an open mall or fairgrounds)?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am in therapy and I would like to record my discussion with my therapist
Thank you. XXXXX law, you can only record those sessions with the consent of the therapist. In private settings a conversation can only be recorded with the consent of all parties.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. It is my goal that you are satisfied. No expert can promise you an answer that is favorable to your circumstances. But I will do my very best to explain the legal principles that are related to the facts you’ve described so that you can better understand the “why” of things.

What are your options now?

If you wish to continue this conversation, click on the Reply tab.
If you are satisfied that I have answered your question, then please rate the answer with “excellent service” so that I receive credit for assisting you. Positive ratings are the only way I receive credit for assisting you today.

IF you feel the need to click either
"Helped a little" or "I expected more," then do not rate me (not yet, anyway!). Instead, reply to me using the REPLY tab. Specify what additional information you need and I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Thanks,
~~ J.B.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So if I ask him and he's alright with it, then it's ok?
Do you think a therapist would allow that? Don't they have confidentiality requirements also?
If so, could I record a session with them for my own use? Say maybe to write down important information in order to discuss with someone else?
Yes, if he agrees to it then the recording is legal.

The therapist will likely want to know why you want to record and then determine how that will fit with your treatment plan.

Your therapist has to keep the sessions confidential. You can disclose whatever information you want.

~~ J.B.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.