JackJD
JackJD, Lawyer
Experience:  I've been in practice 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.

Do you need Workers Compensation Insurance if you are self-employed

Do you need Workers Compensation Insurance if you are self-employed and only have your spouse and yourself as employees?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JackJD replied 1 year ago.

JackJD :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I can answer your question.

When you say your spouse is an employee, do you mean she gets a paycheck, withholding taxes and the whole lot? Or are you saying that she is a partner in the enterprise with you?

If she's an employee, you need Workers Comp insurance; if she's a partner, no. You do not need Workers Comp for yourself as the proprietor of the business.

If you are in the construction business, your general contractor may require that you have Workers Comp, quite apart from what the law requires. If that's what you mean by 'a contract,' then you may need it for that purpose. Keep in mind that, if you purchase Workers Comp for yourself and your wife, then you are insured if you have an injury.

Have I adequately answered your question, or do you have a follow up?

Customer:

The corporation is an S Corp. Both myself and my spouse are employees in that we get paychecks, but are also the owners (partners?) of the company. The company is a computer engineering consultant with no dangerous physical situations.

JackJD :

The Alaska Division of Workers Compensation describes the exemption as "sole proprietors of a sole proprietorship or general partners of a partnership." This says to me that a corporation (even a chapter S corp) is required to have insurance for its employees.

For office workers such as yourselves, the insurance is less expensive.

JackJD, Lawyer
Experience: I've been in practice 30+ years, concentrating in family and employment law. I enjoy helping people.
Expert:  JackJD replied 1 year ago.
Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

If you haven’t already done so, please rate your answer above. Or, you can reply to me using the box below.
Expert:  JackJD replied 1 year ago.
Hello, Joyce, I'm just following up to see if you have worked out your workers comp. insurance issue?
- Jack