Joseph Scott
Joseph Scott, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  I handled employment law cases as in-house counsel (550 employees) and as a private counsel.

I was recently in Mexico working, upon return was asked by

I was recently in Mexico working, upon return was asked by my company to get physical, I have not seen the report from the doctor, went straight to the company, I was released from that company the following day after 23 years of service. The company paid for the physical, the doctor will not release a copy to me, and neither will the company, what are my options ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
First and foremost, I am so sorry about the situation you've faced. I am not sure why the company asked you to take a physical, is that a common request? Legally, you have the right to get a copy of your physical. If you send a HIPPA (Health Information Privacy Act) request form asking for your medicals, the doctor is obligate to give you a copy. If the doctor refuses, your employer is also obligated to give you a copy of the medical records.

You can find a HIPPA forms on the internet or doctor's office may have a copy. You can be responsible for paying for the copies, but you should get a copy of the records. An employee is entitled to see copies of any and all of his/her medical records that the employer has in its possession. I would notify your ex-employer in writing, send it certified mail, that you want a copy of the report and your entire employment file and see if they will produce it. If not, you may want to file a complaint with the National Labor Relation Board or Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

I hope that helps, if you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me and I will be happy to answer them.

My best,

J. Scott