Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

Is 32 hours considered full-time?

Customer Question

Is 32 hours considered full-time?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your question, however, I will need a bit more information in order to assist you. Are you in a union or work for a government entity? What is the underlying issue here? In other words, what is the issue that hinges on full-time employment?

Thank you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not in a union, I work for a religious organization. I was granted only 40 hours of vacation and previously we were granted the number hours worked in a pay period. I worked 64, there has been no notification of any changes.

They are saying that I am part-time. I work 32 hours a week.

Hello again,

Thank you for that information although I still am not sure what being full time has to do with your issue. I am guessing that your employer is not allowing you to accrue vacation time because you are part-time or are limiting you the accrue the number of hours that you actually work. Either way, there is no Illinois or Federal law that defines full-time for these purposes. In other words, the employer is allowed to define who is and isn't full-time. The Federal Fair Labor Standards Act sets at a minimum that 40 hours a week is considered full-time. Again though, an employer can set their own rules and lower the hours needed to qualify as full-time if they choose. Many will set 32 or 36 hours, but many others stick with 40 hours a week.

That said, there is also no Illinois or Federal law that requires that an employer offer any paid time off. So, the policies for how those hours accrue and can be used, is also up to the employer. The only restriction on employers is that they must follow their own policies and cannot discriminate against a particular employee in this area simply because they employee is a member of a protected class under employment discrimination laws.

Please let me know if you need any clarification of the law as I have explained it.

You may reply back to me using the Continue the Conversation or Reply to Expert link if you have additional questions; and if you do, I ask that you please keep in mind that I do not know what you may already know or with what you need help, unless you tell me.

Kindly rate me based solely on my assistance to you in understanding the law, and not based on whether my answer is what you were hoping to hear or for Site issues, which I have no control over. I, unfortunately, have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation, and I trust that you can understand how it would be unfair for me to be punished by a (negative rating) ----the first 2 stars/faces----for having been honest with you about the law. Please reply to me and let me know if you are having difficulty with the rating system or even seeing it. Thank you.