JPEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Experience as both corporate in-house counsel and private counsel
14397910

I worked for a non-profit private college-prep school and was

I worked for a non-profit private college-prep school and was laid off June 2012 due to declining enrollment, as a result of the nationwide economic situation: Can I collect unemployment compensation?

This is the exact type of situation where you would be entitled to unemployment benefits. You are out of work through no fault of your own... you didn't quit, you were not fired due to violations in the workplace. The only issue is that the company is a non-profit. There are a few exceptions for non-profits, such as religious exemptions, but the vast majority of non profits are subject to the same rules as other employers regarding unemployment. So it most likely is no problem.

You don't say what State this is, with that information, I can answer you definitively.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The state is New Mexico and the school is St. Pius X High School located in Albuquerque.
I can't look up a specific employer, but there should be no issue here. There is a religious exemption in NM, but it is highly doubtful that a school exercised it. So, bottom line: you should be eligible.