laborlawyer1
laborlawyer1, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  I have 15 years experience in labor and employment law.
53204674

What happens next after a deposition and the discovery period

What happens next after a deposition and the discovery period ends?

laborlawyer1 :

Hi. It depends. After discovery ends, one of the parties usually files a motion for summary judgment, which is a motion that tries to dismiss the case on legal grounds. Usually, the transcript from the deposition is used and the facts are taken from that. After that, if the motion is denied, it's on to trial.

laborlawyer1 :

Do you have a more specific question?

laborlawyer1 :

Mark

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it absolutely necessary that I as pro se request depositions from the defendant. I do not have the funds to hire a court reporter.

Depositions are not required, and court reporters can be expensive. If you want information, you may want to try sending out some interrogatories. Below is a link to some samples you can use. However, if discovery has closed, they won't be much use to you.

http://www.courts.ca.gov/documents/disc002.pdf

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
does the defendant usually file the summary judgement or is it required from the plaintiff also
The defendant usually files for summary judgment, although a plaintiff can do so as well. You will have an opportunity to respond to the summary judgment motion. Have you tried to get a lawyer to help you pro bono? I know it's a little late, but the local bar association may be able to steer someone your way.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes and i will receive help responding to the summary judgement.