wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I w be 66 thi October and am retiring. I am a Registered nurse

Customer Question

I w be 66 thi October and am retiring. I am a Registered nurse in a doctors offic in Concord, Ma and hav been employed for almst 21 year.
Yesterday I was never so humiliated in mky life. The doctor in front of other co-workers and patien verbally abused me. I had made the correct decision about a ptient and advised the dctor he needed to see thi patient due to his aggrevation about the way he was diagnosed. He had threatened to consult an attorn and I felt the doctor needed to see him and not a nurse.
Ever sinse I informed the doctor I was retiring he has been very abusive toward me. I find his behavior unaccepable and cannot continue to work in this environment.
Can I leave with "good cuse"?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 4 years ago.

wallstreetesq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification.

wallstreetesq. :

If you want to apply for unemployment benefits, "good cause",would have to be proven.

wallstreetesq. :

If you want to avoid any legal or license issues good cause to leave the employment is possible, however you should consider the following steps, to ensure you protect yourself.

wallstreetesq. :

1. Consider sending the employer a detailed letter stating what happened during the incident, and his patter of harassment since you mentioned you would be leaving.

JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- :

would verbal abuse and ridicule in front of co-workers and patients be considered good cause? I have witnesses and this has happened more than once

wallstreetesq. :

2. Consider filing or threatening to file an EEOC or State Civil Rights case for age discrimination.

wallstreetesq. :

Yes, verbal abuse, defamation, could be good cause,

wallstreetesq. :

however, in order to have a stong case, you need to inform the employer of the hostile environment you face due to your age,

wallstreetesq. :

and ask him to stop.

wallstreetesq. :

If he fails to rectify the situation, after notice, then if you resign you would have a strong case for leaving with "good cause".

wallstreetesq. :

Your letter will show that the employer had notice of the incidents at work, and your concerns, and the fact they did not respond, shows that they allowed it to continue, so you can argue that you had no choice but to leave.

wallstreetesq. :

If you file a State complaint, that would support your case as well.

wallstreetesq. :

In Massachusetts, it is possible to file a discrimination claim either with the state administrative agency, the Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD) or the federal administrative agency, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC).

wallstreetesq. :

I would send a letter detailing the issues at work, and file an official complaint, if nothing changes within a weeks submit your letter of resignation.

wallstreetesq. :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

wallstreetesq. :

If satisfied with our service please accept our service so we can receive credit.

JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- :

could you send the information again? I forgot to save it

wallstreetesq. :

Yes, I will send it again.

JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- :

thank you

10:21 PM

10:21 PM JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- has entered this chat! wallstreetesq. says: 10:23 PM

10:23 PM

JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- says: 10:24 PM

wallstreetesq. says: 10:24 PM

10:24 PM

10:25 PM

10:25 PM

and ask him to stop.

10:25 PM

10:26 PM

10:27 PM

10:27 PM

10:28 PM

To file a claim with the MCAD, contact the closest office below. More information about filing a claim with MCAD can be found at http://www.workplacefairness.org/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.mass.gov%2Fmcad%2F.

Boston
One Ashburton Place
Rm. 601
Boston, MANNN-NN-NNNNbr/>Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
Springfield
436 Dwight Street
Rm. 220
Springfield, MA 01103
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Worcester
Worcester City Hall
455 Main St. Room 100
Worcester, MA 01608
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>
New Bedford
800 Purchase St.
Room 501
New Bedford, MA 02740
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

To file a claim with the EEOC, contact your local EEOC office below. More information about filing a claim with the EEOC can be found at http://www.workplacefairness.org/link?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.eeoc.gov%2Ffacts%2Fhowtofil.html.

EEOC -- Boston Area Office
John F. Kennedy Federal Building
Government Center
4th Floor, Room 475
Boston, MA 02203
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
10:28 PM JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- has stepped out of this chat. 10:28 PM JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- has entered this chat! wallstreetesq. says: 10:28 PM

10:28 PM

10:29 PM

10:30 PM JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- has stepped out of this chat. 10:30 PM JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- has left the chat to accept an answer! 10:32 PM JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- has left the chat to accept an answer! JACUSTOMER-o610vp8j- says: 10:32 PM

wallstreetesq. says: 10:33 PM

Yes, I will send it again.