MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney representing companies and individuals in employment law matters and litigation

Is workplace bullying against the law? I get bullied by my

Is workplace bullying against the law? I get bullied by my boss everyday and it has caused me to almost get fired. Not to mention, the stress and anxiety it has caused. This is rubbing ff on my daughter and I have seeked medical attention for the anxiety. I have ran circles with my boss and also tried to transfer out of the department I am in, and they have denied me because nobody else is fully trained in the department. The other full time person (there is only two of us in the department besides our boss) is not fully and has been told that they are not going to continue to train her because she is looking at going back to school. Her notice to quit and go back to school has passed and they are still not training her. I am drug down everyday and Human Resources is not understanding because they do not fully understand what our department does. There is also a bias between my boss and our assistant general manager of our company. They have spent time together outside of the workplace and are "friends". This makes it even harder to get my point across that I am getting bullied. There are rumors spread about me that my boss has been apart of and I am sick of it. Can you help?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. Please remember that this site is intended to provide general legal information only.

No, unfortunately there are no federal laws against bullying in the workplace. It is currently illegal to discriminate against an employee based on his or her age, race, gender, religion, etc but there are no laws against bullying in general.

Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this was a text book answer. I need more depth into what I am experiencing. Can you help?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood your question. I thought that your question was whether or not workplace bullying was illegal. What is your question, exactly? What legal information are you seeking?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can I sue for workplace bullying?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
No, you cannot sue for workplace bullying since it is not illegal. In order to sue someone, they need to have violated the law in some way. It is what is known as a cause of action. There is no cause of action called workplace bullying.

Please let me know if this answers your question.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there anything I can do about this, when management is the one doing the bullying?
Expert:  MDLaw replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, there is nothing that can be done legally since they are not engaging in illegal activity based on what you have written. All you can do is report it to HR and try to improve your relationship with your superiors or quit the job, assuming you do not have an employment contract that you would be breaching. You have stated that the bullying consists of spreading rumors about you. The best thing to do in these situations is to report it and not let it get to you and rise above. Of course, if it is to the point of being intolerable, it is best to find a new job. I've had to do that myself as I'm sure most people have.

Let me know if you need any clarification and please remember that I only report the laws and I do not make the laws and so please do not shoot the messenger.