wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I was recently hospitized due to an acute illes that is on

I was recently hospitized due to an acute illes that is on going I have a doctors release from work till the 4/20 . I have been asked by my employeer to voluntay resgin now and reapply. The fire department left my medical inforamation at my place of employeement which is a violation of HIPPA. I feel like that I am discrimminated due to illness. What should I do, voluntary resign or not
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 2 years ago.

wallstreetesq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarification

wallstreetesq. :

Do you have a disability?

wallstreetesq. :

Did you use FMLA?

wallstreetesq. :

Can you do the job with your current condition?

Customer:

yes I acute exercerbated asthma and several other conditions that contribute. I was on disability however after redertermination I was told that I was no longer eligible for disability. Recently I have had 1 trip to er and the last trip to er I was hospitlized for 5 days. I was at work when the illness occured and paramedics transported me to the hospital

Customer:

Don't know what FMLA is

Customer:

yes and no on the job. I was training for a work at home postition but had to do a 4 week in house before going remote.

Customer:

as long as I am in a controlled enviorment I somewhat can manage the illness, however the question is do they have the right to ask for voluntary resign with the doctors note not to work

Customer:

the other issue that concerns me is this transpired after the FD left my PHI in the hands of my employer

wallstreetesq. :

FMLA, is the Family Medical Leave Act, it is the only job protection leave act mandated to employers with 50 or more employees,

wallstreetesq. :

In your situation if you were not given FMLA, the employer can terminate you or ask you to resign,

wallstreetesq. :

if they are doing this due to a recognized disability,

Customer:

They do have the FMLA however benefits did not begin for 90 days.

wallstreetesq. :

then you may have a discrimination complaint, and can file a discrimination charge with the EEOC

Customer:

I was livid with the cpt of FD when I ask him for my folder and found out that it was left for all to see

wallstreetesq. :

That is an isue, and you can file an internal complaint about it,

wallstreetesq. :

the discrimination issue due to a disability is what you should consider, if you believe they are forcing you to resign due to the disability

Customer:

what is my next step.

Customer:

I feel like it was, having my HIPPA rights violated they now have a complete look at my medical history and can refuse rehire

wallstreetesq. :

yes that is a serious issue, and you could use it in a disability complaint,

wallstreetesq. :

are you part of a union? or have a contract?

wallstreetesq. :

To file a claim with the EEOC, contact your local EEOC office below. More information about filing a claim with the EEOC can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/facts/howtofil.html.

EEOC's Phoenix District Office
3300 N. Central Avenue
Suite 690
Phoenix, AZNNN-NN-NNNNbr/>Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr/>TTY:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Customer:

no AZ is a right to work state, labor laws suck here

wallstreetesq. :

Then you are left with contacting the EEOC to see if they will take a disability complaint, if not then you are left with a resignation, or letting them terminate you,

wallstreetesq. :

if you resign, you may also be denied unemployment benefits, so you need to discuss this with your employer

Customer:

This is what I thought, the way it was worded was not to worry you can come back but then I was told to today that if I voluntary resigned I would have to reapply

wallstreetesq. :

Yes, and unemployment benefits could be denied, if you are terminated you can receive the benefits,

wallstreetesq. :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask

wallstreetesq. :

If satisfied please press the accept button so we can receive credit

Customer:

now as far as the HIPPA violation, what is my next step on that

wallstreetesq. :

You could file a HIPPA violation with the state, but that is something that is not really punished,

wallstreetesq. :

It could be used in a discrimination case, as evidence that they have discriminated against you for your disability

Customer:

ok, I understand however, with the PHI the CPT of PFD was in violation by not handing me my information back

Customer:

I understand HIPPA more than Labor Laws

Customer:

When I addressed the issue with one of the emt's at the ED I told them I wanted that folder and not to hand it over to my employer

wallstreetesq. :

Then you should file an official HIPPA complaint,

Customer:

ok how do I save this thread or print it out for reference

wallstreetesq. :

Once you accept, you will have full access to the conversation so you can print it for future use.

Customer:

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX advisment. I feel like this is going to get messy

wallstreetesq. :

it may be, good luck

wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience: 14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
Thank you for your time, if you have any follow up questions please do not hesitate to ask.