Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

An employee is claiming a HIPPA violation in the workplace

An employee is claiming a HIPPA violation in the workplace due to claiming that her health information was released by her supervisor. What are the ramifications of this type of violation?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 4 years ago.
HIPAA applies to healthcare insurers and healthcare providers, not typically to employers. The employer may share health information of an employee with those in the company that have a reasonable business interest in knowing the information. This is something most employees and even some employers fail to understand and they think that all disclosure of health information violates HIPAA, it simply does not as the employer is not generally a covered entity under HIPAA.

An employer has a duty to keep employee health information confidential and not for general release, but the employer may still disclose that information for legitimate business reasons to those in the organization with a legitimate need to know and in most cases a supervisor can indeed have a legitimate business reason to need to know the information.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL, LEGAL ANSWERS TAKE MORE THAN “MINUTES” TO PUT TOGETHER AS WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT IT WILL BE MORE THAN “MINUTES” IN SOME CASES BEFORE YOU GET A RESPONSE, BUT BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So, if a supervisor tells other members of management for business reasons, that is alright? Is there any type of tort claim that can be made? Would she have to prove in court that harm was done or that she has been damaged by any actions taken by her supervisor?
That is fine as long as the manager can establish a legitimate business reason for disclosing the information. She would have to prove only that there was no reasonable business reason to disclose the information to have a claim for invasion of privacy.