Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

Will I go to Jail for collecting unemployment while working?

Will I go to Jail for collecting unemployment while working? I do have the money to pay back the money that I got. I live in Colorado
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.

No one, other than the State, can tell you with certainty whether they would refer a case of unemployment fraud to the State prosecutor and whether or not the State prosecutor would take the case. I can say that those situations are very rare. In other words, in most cases the State just wants their money back if they made an overpayment because the claimant did not qualify for benefits. In the case where a claimant is willing and able to make restitution, then they are even less likely to refer the case for prosecution. That said, they always have the option and if it is an aggravated case involving a long term and high dollar fraud and they are having issues with high UI fraud, then they might decide to make an example of someone. Again though that would be the exception and not the rule.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it was 3 momths and $6,000, is that considered "long term and high dollar fraud"? Again At this time I am willing and able to pay it back
No, not usually, that would not be considered long term or high dollar where you are. Again though, no one but the State can say for sure. But unlikely that criminal charges will be filed since you are willing and able to pay it back.