Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law

I just had my phone interview with nj unemployment. I think

I just had my phone interview with nj unemployment. I think it went well, my boss said I quit but he confirmed with me that I was being laid off. He was not available when the interviewer first called him. He did end up calling in and we had a three way. He had the dates wrong and also stated he was going to lay me off anyway and had no problem with me collecting unemployment. Do you think this went in my favor?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 4 years ago.

There would really be no way to venture a guess. There are many factors that go into the decision of the Hearing Officer to award or not award UI benefits. From what I am guessing you quit your job at some point before you were laid off. That generally is disqualifying. However, if the employer confirmed that your termination was imminent and that you knew it, then the Hearing Officer may rule in your favor. Generally though, quitting voluntarily before being terminated or laid off is per se disqualifying. All you can do though at this point is to wait and see what the State decides.