MDLaw
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney representing companies and individuals in employment law matters and litigation
16277701

Is it legal to collect unemployment and social security retirement

Is it legal to collect unemployment and social security retirement benefits at the same time in Wyoming. I currently receive $860.00 gross, every two weeks. I checked with SS because in Dec 2011 I was notified my unemployment benefits were going to end (after 26 weeks) and no renewal was expected. I checked with SS and I can retire now at approx $1,500 per month but that is not enough to cover my expenses. My full retirement age is 66, I will turn 65 in Sept 2012. I read on the internet that a lot of people my age are having difficulty finding employment as am I and they are supplementing their income by collecting their full 99 weeks unemployment along with their SS. Unemployment has subsequently extended my benefits until the end of May 2012, and maybe they will go up to 99 weeks, I have no way of knowing but if I could collect from both areas before I retire with the lower SS income of $1,500 per mo I could pay off most of my bills before my unemployment runs out.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for using the JA website. Please remember that this site is intended to provide general legal information only

Are you reporting your income?.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What income? When I went to inquire about retirement with the SS Admn I told them I was on unemployment and if they asked how much, I did report it. I'm not sure they even asked. At that time I had been notified that my unemployment benefits were ending as of Dec. 31, 2011. I do know when I call in my beweekly claim to unemployment I have to answer the question have I received any severance pay or have I had any changes to my retirement? That's why I was concerned about double dipping so to speak. The news article on MSNBC stated the practice of collecting from both SS & Unemployment was not illegal and since the two agencies don't compare information I thought I might as well supplement my income until my unemployment runs out. But if my unemployment benefits are reduced because of the SS $ and it is illeagle not to report it to unemployment then I certainly don't want to do it.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
To clarify, when you said that you receive 866.00, were you referring to SS income or to unemployment income?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My unemployment benefits were not cancelled as expected and were renewed for another 22 weeks. These benefits are scheduled to end at the end of May 2012, unless extended again, hopefully I will be able to find employment or receive the full 99 weeks as others have. So to answer your question the $860 I receive every other week is from Wyoming Unemployment Insurance. So far I have only made an inquiry with SS to see if I could retire and how much money I would receive each month.
Expert:  MDLaw replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the clarification. The amount of SS income you receive would have to be reported to unemployment and they would either reduce your unemployment benefit amount or, if the amount you receive makes you ineligible, completely eliminate your unemployment benefit. You can contact the WY unemployment division to determine how they apply the reduction to your specific account.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. Otherwise, please remember to hit the green ACCEPT button as that is the only way that we experts get compensated for our time, expertise, and research. We do not get paid by the website and so we rely on customers to honor the honor system and accept our responses so that we can continue to provide this service to people such as yourself. When leaving feedback, please also remember that we experts do not make the laws. We only report what the laws are and so please do not shoot the messenger.
MDLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience: Experienced attorney representing companies and individuals in employment law matters and litigation