Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

With North Dakota workforce safety. Will I receive a settlement from them when the claim i

With North Dakota workforce safety. Will I receive a settlement from them when the claim is closed? I was injured at work. Suffering burns to my face and hands. I've been told by doctors. That I am very susceptible to frostbite and skin cancer on these areas. Where this condition would be down the road, but still related to the work injury. Is there a way to protect myself? From the costs of treating these conditions down the road? After N.D workforce safety closes the claim? Thank you for your time
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Are you being treated by a workers' comp physician?

Have you retained a workers' comp attorney?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am being treated by docotors in N.D. Workforce safety has sent their people to the Dr. visits. However I do not think they are work comp physicians. I am from Idaho. They want me to find a Dr. here. Would they try to shift my work comp case to Idaho if I use an Idaho doctor? I have not retained a workers comp attorney.
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
ND Workforce safety is the agency that has the authority to process state workers' comp claims, so you must have a workers' comp claim pending.

If your injury was sustained in ND, you must normally use ND workers' comp physicians unless you can locate an out of state physician to accept payments from ND workers' comp, which is unlikely.

Once your condition stabilizes, you would normally be sent to a WC physician to be evaluated for any permanent disability you have experienced. They will typically provide a rating of your permanent disability stated as a percentage. This percentage will normally guide your attorney in determining a reasonable amount for which you may settle your claim for permanent disability, which includes compensation for future medical.

It is important to retain a local WC attorney to represent you in this matter on a contingency fee basis, so there is no fee unless they prevail on your behalf. Among many other things, they can ensure your rating for permanent disability is done fairly so your settlement is not based on an artificially low rating, meaning you would receive significantly less compensation for your injury.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.