Ask Board Certified Attorney Arcadier You...
Board Certified Attorney Arcadier
Board Certified Attorney Arcadier, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment Law questions answered. Unpaid Wages, Overtime, Discrimination, Harassment, and many more employment related issues.
63302635

HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH MY EEOC RETALIATION CASE IS WORTH?

HOW DO I KNOW HOW MUCH MY EEOC RETALIATION CASE IS WORTH? WE ARE AWAITING TRIAL. THE INDIVIDUAL AND ORGANIZATION I AM SUING IS KNOWN FOR NOT TAKING CARE OF THEIR BUSINESS. CAN I GET PUNITIVE DAMAGES? IF A SETTLEMENT IS MADE HOW WHAT WILL MY ATTORNEY RECEIVE. I HAVE PAID HER ATTORNEY FEES ALREADY.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Board Certified Attorney Arcadier replied 4 years ago.

Board Certified Attorney :

Retal cases, generally are worth the actual wages you lost from date of termination through trial (back wages). Plus mental anguish depending on facts. Punitives only available in extreme circumstances. Your attorney will get paid pursuant to the contract you have with your attorney. If you have paid all attorney fees, then, in a settlement, you will not have to pay your attorney more than what he or she has actually worked.

Customer:

Can my attorney charge me further. For additional charges other than what his final invoices states for his fees. When my attorney submitted his invoice for his attorney fees we, had not decided to go to trial. since we won summary judgement and decided to go to trial, will there be additional cost to me. I have already paid a great deal of money and I am very concerned, will I have to pay more attorney fees. My attorney hired an appellate lawyer to assist with the case, who pays for that lawyer.

Board Certified Attorney : either your contract is on contingency or hourly. If hourly, your attorney will charge you for all time he has spent that has not been paid.. same with appellate attorney. Or it could be on contingency, if that is what your written contract with your attorney states.
Customer:

My contract does not state that. Actually my cased was given back to my present attorney from one of the attorney in her office. I have a contract with the first attorney, but not my present attorney. Should I be worried about this or does the initial contract still stand. My 1st attorney fee was $250/hr, this attorney $300/hr. I was charged the latter. I guess my question to you is: what other fees can i be charged for if we decided to settle or go to trial. Will I have to pay (2) attorneys? I did not ask my attorney to hire an appellate lawyer. What should I expect?

Board Certified Attorney : Are the attorneys from the same firm?
Customer:

I am only dealing with one firm and one attorney. If he hires additional assistance, do I have to pay that or will that come out of his potion of the settlement of award? At this point of the case what other possible fees can be incurred?

Board Certified Attorney : If you dont have a contingency contract, you can be billed for all attorney fees incurred which have not been paid for. You need to absolutely clarify this with your attorney.
Board Certified Attorney : This includes billed for all attorneys who are working on the case.