Jane T (LLC)
Jane T (LLC), Lawyer
Experience:  Worked with employment legal group in major national corp.
2911261

The 180 days that you have to file a discrimination complaint

Customer Question

The 180 days that you have to file a discrimination complaint with EEOC, are they calendar days or work days?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Jane T (LLC) replied 5 years ago.

Jane T (LLC) :

Hello, the time required to file a claim for employer discrimination with the U.S. EEOC, for a private employer, not a government employer, is counted in terms of calendar days, as stated here. Also, be aware that timelines can alter based on several factors, which are explained here. By contacting a field office of the EEOC information based on the factors involved in a personal situation can be reviewed with the EEOC to obtain more specific details.

Customer:

What about a government agency such as a public school system?

Customer:

I just got a repeat of your first answer and my question.

Jane T (LLC) :

I am working on your second answer, please wait while I complete that.

Jane T (LLC) :

Where state government agencies are involved a person may need to file with a state's offices, for example Virginia has a state Human Rights Council that may need to be contacted before a federal filing is made with the EEOC. The VA office can be contacted here. Where state agencies are involved the rights and timelines can differ from the EEOC and it is better to contact those offices directly to speak to them.

Customer:

Thanks