Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.

What is the statute of limitations in Utah for a claim of sexual

What is the statute of limitations in Utah for a claim of sexual harassment for sexual harassment of a student by a teacher. it is a private school.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome,

Does this involve a school that receives public funding?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know. It is one of those Billboard / TV advertising colleges "Come here and get a degree in ... etc". It is found at
Expert:  Tina replied 4 years ago.
I see.

Their website indicates they seek compensation through federal financial aid, which constitutes federal funding typically for purposes of Title IX, which is the statute prohibiting sexual harassment in education.

Title IX does not have a statute of limitations typically. Therefore, the courts apply the state's personal injury statute of limitations normally.

See the following link setting out this framework:

Utah's statute of limitations for personal injury actions is normally 4 years, so you would typically have that period of time to file suit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, even if the law is not in your favor; please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous. Thank you.