Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

Under the Louisiana recording law a person can record a conversation

Customer Question

Under the Louisiana recording law a person can record a conversation if one party is consent and that "one party that consents" could be the person doing the recording. My question is this -- Can school board policy supersede this law? I recorded a meeting with my principal and me because I knew he wouldn't be professional. School board policy says I have to have the principal's permission to record. Which has more weight? Louisiana law/right to record or school board policy saying no recording???
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 years ago.
If you are on school board property or you are a school board employee they can impose their own regulations which may be more stringent than the state law, but could not be less strict than state law (for example they could not say that anything can be recorded even if nobody consents). If you are an employee, then the employer's rules would supersede in the workplace.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so because I recorded inspite of SB policy would they havea right to tell me I can no longer have my phone on school campus even on lunch break?
They can even actually terminate you for violating school rules if they choose. We had the exact same rule with JPSO/NOPD, Orleans Parish S&WB and while an employee was not violating law for violating the rule, disciplinary action for violating the rule was upheld.