JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.

I recently had a midyear review. In my midyear review, it states

I recently had a midyear review. In my midyear review, it states that I am strong minded, condescending, and intimidating. I asked my manager for specific feedback or examples. I was told he could not provide them as this was confidental feedback and I am in danger of not getting a "meets" rating at the end of year. We have talked about in the year as to date how I am very factual and follow our SOPs to the letter and need to work on some of my people skills. I however feel this is a very damning review (which I received in August, ie 4 months left of the year) to which I have not been given opportunity to discuss the situation or person I have offended. My role is a trainer or supervisor which is bound to bring upon some conflict. Is there any wya to rebute this to HR?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer!

I am sorry to learn of your circumstances. Was this mid-year review done in writing? Do you have a copy of it?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, text below...

Sarah Berard July href="http://www.justanswer.com/employment-law/5ipa5-recently-midyear-review-midyear-review-states.html1

As far as technical aspects go, Sarah is a very strong asset to the team. It was noted in peer feedback she is a go-to person for training, scheduling and process improvement. As an individual, Sarah has a high capacity to take on multiple assignments and projects, on that note I would just throw caution that she does not take on too much.

Sarah has been a key part of the training program overhaul continuous improvement project. As a team, they accomplished more than just standardization of how we do our work. They also created a mechanism for change, conduit for communicating to the staff, and an overall improved perception of the Toxicology Technical group. I view Sarah as one of the major drivers within the training team to push the team through the teambuilding process. She has emerged as a leader.

In addition to the training team she also is part of the T5 team. In this role, I feel she has done a good job ensuring study continuity and good continuity. Feedback from peers suggests this is one of her greatest strengths. Feedback is very clear that Sarah is aware of each techs strengths and weaknesses and does a good job scheduling to maximize them.

Sarah has taken the responsibility of managing the weekend rotation as well. In this area I would encourage Sarah to to use what she knows about herself and team dynamics to improve and again lead the push through the growing pains with the T5 team. In general feedback from peers around Sarah's weekend coordinating role was very positive in this area. It was noted that her good communication, helpful nature and organization makes work get done smoothly.

The most critical feedback I've received about Sarah is that of low patience approachability and how she communicates to her peers. In the feedback, the word "intimidating, condescending and strong minded" came up several times. As a manager, I know Sarah is aware of her personality, and has been actively trying to manage her reactions and body language to improve upon these perceptions. I'm afraid that influence on her peers is a critical piece of the T5 role. In this role, it is not so much how much can you do, but how well can you influence and motivate others. I feel she needs to make a noticeable change to how she influences her peers or she will be at risk of not meeting expectations. While it can be exhausting, the supervisory role really challenges leaders to be self aware and doing what is necessary to make a positive influence on the team.

One area I am most impressed with about Sarah is her coachability as I don't believe everyone is truly coachable. Sarah has taken responsibility for herself and put time and effort into understanding and working through her weaknesses. I think she has made the most notable progress within the training team. Sarah has emerged as a leader within the group and has been in control of keeping progress and holding her peers accountable while maintaining good team working relationships. She has been willing to work through conflicts and encourage her peers to work as a team.This has been an extraordinary amount of work that I don't want to go unnoticed. I think Sarah should take the next challenge of applying the same principles to her peers outside of the training team that she feels are most difficult, and try to influence them so that preserves and strengthens their relationship. I think Sarah has the drive and willingness to listen to feedback and I think if she can take the feedback and use it to support her influence strategy, then long term she will be very successful.

Sarah seems to enjoy a challenge. One last challenge I would put forth is that I think she should look to find creative ways to add fun into the job for her and for the good of her peers. I know our work environment is stressful and full of uncertainty.

Thank you. What is the outcome that you are seeking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there any recourse I could take to HR about unfair feedback and oneway input into my review?
You can write a written rebuttal statement that outlines what you disagree with and why.

You can make a copy of that statement for your personal records and give the original to HR and request that HR include your written rebuttal into your personnel file.

It has been my pleasure to assist you today with your information needs. If you have a follow-up question, please reply and ask it.

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.