JBaxLaw, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Government and private sector employment law experience

Can I collect unemployment if I quit my job due to medical

Can I collect unemployment if I quit my job due to medical reasons? During my employment I had a partial left wrist fusion; during my rehab my left shoulder froze up. 6 months later I fell on the ice & tore my right rotor cuff which I had surgery on. At the end of my therapy it was too much to continue this line of work. I relocated to NC from Ohio to allow my daughter to assist me during my rehab. My right arm still has not gained strength & now my left shoulder is worse than my right. Can you tell me if I have any options to file for unemployment compensation. Respectfully, XXXXX XXXXX
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 5 years ago.

I am an expert at JustAnswer and will be assisting you. I would like to address a few important issues before answering your question.

Please remember that I receive no credit for assisting you unless you accept my response. You cannot accept when I make an inquiry, rather you can only do so after you have received an answer. I answer questions based on the amount offered and rely on customers to follow through and "accept." Please remember that this is a chat or a dialogue so please reply to me if you have any questions regarding the information I provide.

Please note, nothing herein is intended as legal advice, no legal advice is being provided, no attorney-client relationship will be established and only general information is provided so that you may analyze your situation.

Normally, an employee who quits a job is not entitled to unemployment. The exception is when the employee quits for "good cause." That is a standard determined by apply what a reasonable employee who desired to retain employment would do in the situation. If that reasonable employee would have no option but to quit then generally good cause is determined to be present. The issue where an employee quits due to health reasons is whether the employer would have modified work duties such that an employee could continue to work. If modification was denied or was not possible, then it is more likely that an employee will be considered to have quit for good cause. There is no definitive test, rather it is a matter to be determined by weighing all of the available evidence by the decision maker.

Thank you

Thank you

Please do not forget to accept the answer if satisfied. I only receive credit for answering your question if you accept and you can continue to ask follow-up questions after accepting.