wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I have accepted a severance package from the non-profit where

I have accepted a severance package from the non-profit where I worked for 15 years. The agency was the one to make me the offer to leave my employment with the severance package. The amounts were paid out in one lump sum. This was February 15, 2011.

I have not been able to find another job since then and applied for unemploymentin June in Florida. I received a letter of denial saying that I do not have any wage credit. The non-profit agency is an NGO that pays its employees out of Fairfield, Iowa. the on-line system does not have an option to appeal this situation, other than calling XXX-XXX-XXXX. Although I have called in over 20 occassions a recording tells me that all the agents are busy and to call back later. There is no walk in option.

Questions:
1) Am I eligible for Unemployment?
2) If so, what can I do to appeal the denial?

wallstreetesq. :

Hello I am a licensed attorney here to help you with your question, please review my response and do not hesitate to ask for clarificati on

wallstreetesq. :

Did your previous pay checks withould unemployment benefits?

wallstreetesq. :

Was your employer exempt from UI benefits?

Customer:

The organization is an NGO - the Art of Living Foundation. On my W2 the withholding amounts were for Federal Income Tax, Social Security and Medicare.

Customer:

The following is the agency's employer ID number and it is registered as a 501(c) 3: 77-0240101

wallstreetesq. :

Since UI was not withheld from your pay, and they are a non profit organization, they would be exempt from paying unemployment insurance, so you would not be able to obtain benefits.

wallstreetesq. :

The severance package is what they would consider as UI benefits,

Customer:

Thanks.....you have saved me a lot of time!