JB Umphrey
JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience:  Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.
14211116

What happens in a pretrial conference in a civil suit

What happens in a pretrial conference in a civil suit?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  JB Umphrey replied 3 years ago.

MI-Lawyer :

Thank you for using JustAnswer!

MI-Lawyer :

What papers have been filed with the court so far in the lawsuit?

Customer: Complaint, amended complaint, request for production, interrogatories, initial disclosure, the scheduling order
MI-Lawyer :

At the pre-trial conference, the judge (or his/her designee) will ask the parties how much time will be necessary for discovery, will there be experts, try to get a feel for how simple or complex the case will be, how much time will be needed for trial, whether the parties are receptive to alternative dispute resolution (e.g., arbitration, facilitation, etc.).

MI-Lawyer :

At the pre-trial conference, the parties should leave with some type of "game plan" of timeline goals of how the rest of the case will proceed.

MI-Lawyer :

If you are satisfied that your question has been answered, kindly select the ACCEPT button to close this thread and so that I receive credit for assisting you today.

Customer: What if the deadline for discovery has past? And a motion to compel has been filed.
MI-Lawyer :

The court will hear the motion and decide if the requested material needs to be produced. If the court decides that the material needs to be produced, it will order it.

MI-Lawyer :

MI-Lawyer :

Are you able to see the ACCEPT button on your screen?

JB Umphrey, Lawyer
Experience: Assisting employees and employers for over 14 years.